Carson is ideally situated for popular attractions in the area, being located about 25 minutes drive (17 miles) from Ojo Caliente Mineral Hot Springs and about forty minutes (25 miles) from downtown Taos which, while small, is well-served by museums. art galleries, and restaurants, some offering live music. Taos is also home to historic sites that attract many visitors. These include the St Francis de Assisi Church, made famous by the artist Georgia O’Keefe, Kit Carson State Park, and Taos Plaza.
The Rio Grande Gorge and Taos Pueblo, a UNESCO Heritage site, are convenient stopping points on the way into Taos from Carson, while Taos Ski Valley is about an hour’s drive to the northeast of Carson.
The Pilar end of the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument, with its network of hiking trails and boating and fishing access points, is about 8 miles away. Carson is encircled by Carson National Forest which offers hiking, cycling, archeology, and rock climbing opportunities.
Below are links to websites and contact details for more information on some of the attractions found in the area.
- Black Mesa Winery Tours—email@example.com | 505-852-2820 x105 (Karl Johnsen, Winemaker)
- Bandelier National Monument—nps.gov/band/
- Big River Raft Trips | bigriverrafts.com | 800-River-Go
- Carson National Forest | fs.usda.gov/carson
- D.H. Lawrence Ranch | dhlawrenceranch.unm.edu
- E.L. Blumenschein Home and Museum | taoshistoricmuseums.org
- Eske’s Paradise Balloons—taosballooning.com | 575-751-6098
- Far Flung Adventures—farflung.com | 575-758-2628
- Harwood Museum of Art—harwoodmuseum.org
- Kit Carson Museum—kitcarsonmuseum.org
- KSC Stables—kschorsegal.wixsite.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | 575-770-6959
- La Cieneguilla Stables—facebook.com | 575-751-2815 | Hwy 68, Pilar, NM
- La Hacienda de Los Martinez—taoshistoricmuseums.org
- Llama Trekking Adventures—LlamaAdventures.com | 1-800-758-LAMA (5262)
- Los Rios River Runners—losriosriverrunners.com | 575-776-8854
- Millicent Rogers Museum—millicentrogers.org
- Ojo Caliente Spa and Mineral Springs—ojospa.com | 505-583-2233
- Puye Cliff Dwellings—puyecliffs.com
- R.C. Gorman’s Navajo Gallery—rcgormangallery.com
- Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument—blm.gov/visit/rgdnnm
- San Francisco de Asis Church—sfranchos.org
- Taos Art Museum at Fechin House—taosartmuseum.org
- Taos Center for the Arts—tcataos.org
- Taos Plaza—taosplazanmtaos.org/what-to-do/landmark-sites/taos-plaza/
- Taos Pueblo—taospueblo.com
- Taos Ski Valley—taosskivalley.com | skitaos.org
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial—vietnamveteransmemorial.org
Please note that inclusion of a service in this list should not be construed as an endorsement by CCA. We do not receive any benefits in exchange for the listing. Visitors should do their own due diligence on the services listed and the activities they offer.